Monday, September 29, 2008

Mike Faix on Academics


HS PR’s:
5k- 17:32
3200- 10:52
1600- 4:57

College PR’s:
10k- 34:11
8kxc- 28:27
5k-16:40
3k- 9:27

Year: Jr.
Major: Physics
Minor: Music Performance
High School: McKeesport H.S.
Hometown: White Oak, Pa

What other Colleges were you looking at? When deciding schools, I had three others in mind, Duquesne Univ., Pitt- Main, and Bucknell Univ. I was searching mostly based on academics, amongst other things of course, but eventually narrowed it down to Pitt and Allegheny. They are night and day by all means, but both have great science programs so they definitely caught my eye.

Why did you decide on Allegheny? When it came down to it, I knew that Allegheny would allow me to be as diverse in my extracurricular activities as well as my education that I definitely wanted to be. I was very involved during HS in a wide range of activities and very much wanted to continue those interests. Allegheny allowed for so much more of a personalized education that would fit my wants and needs and allow me to shape my education in and out of the classroom.

How did you go about choosing your major? I pretty much already knew that I wanted to go into physics because of my experience in HS and where my interests were. Many people come here without a clue as to what they want to major in, and in all honesty, a small liberal arts school can be the best place for those students. It grants a lot of freedoms with exploring different fields in addition to talking to advisors and other faculty who sincerely want to help.

What do you plan to do after you graduate from Allegheny? Most likely, I will attend grad school. There are many options with what direction to go with a physics degree and I’m currently considering numerous fields.

How has being on a successful track and/or cross country team helped you with school? Just being on a track and cross country team is great, but being on a successful team takes the experience to a whole different level. The level of expectation and standards is considerably higher, which very much carries into the academic world. Sure, being part of a varsity team can be quite a commitment, but when push comes to shove, being part of this team helps build that drive necessary for success across the board.

What unique opportunities have you had through attending Allegheny (internships, research, etc...)? I’ve found unique opportunities in just about every organization I’m a part of. I’ve done mission trips and community service through religious life groups, intercollegiate symphonies and other ensembles through the music department, leadership conferences and job fairs through ACCEL, spring break trips with the track team. The bottom line is that there is opportunity surrounding us, and it is there for the taking. Getting involved beyond the classroom is all a part of the education experience, and it’s up to each one of us to seek out and pursue those opportunities.

No comments: